The Photonics Engineering and Health Technology Research Group conducts research into the use of light for sensing and characterisation of dynamic systems of industrial and biological origin. The group collaborates towards biomedical engineering research projects and programmes with a number of national and international research groups and institutions. It has attained international appreciation for research into opto-physiological modelling to describe human physiological phenomena by effective capture of light trans-illuminating tissue.
Photonics Engineering and Health Technology works (or has previously worked) with Queen Mary University, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai Upper Bio-Tech Co, Tsinghua University, Beijing and University Hospital of Leicester.
Areas of Expertise
- Biomedical engineering software design and implementation
- Clinical risk assessment
- Electronics and microelectronics for biomedical applications
- Health technology
- In-line biomedical signal and imaging processing
- In-vitro diagnostics instrumentation
- non-invasive assessment
- Opto-electronic probe configuration
- Opto-physiological monitoring
- Plethysmography, pulse oximetry
- Point-of-care testing photonic detection
- Tissue optics